How to demonstrate Leadership when strategic changes are required?
Here are some buy-in techniques that might help you during a communication meeting to kick off a Transformation program.
- 1 – Explain clearly and quickly the decision and the rational behind it. Use the motivational approach by stating the “why” first, then the “how” and eventually the “what”.Use a couple of examples people can easily relate to.
- 2 – Create a sense of urgency. Show how it relates to the entire game plan.
- 3 – Do not try to convince this is the right decision. You decided it and you explain it. That’s all.
- 4 – Acknowledge the difficulties. Do not lay down a path that looks polished. Emphasis difficulties and show that you are well aware of them.
- 5 – Invite people to talk about their concerns. Although it might not be right away (during the present meeting).
- 6 – Know your audience. Do your homework on the audience you are talking to. Current difficulties, successes or concerns.
- 7 – Be clear of what will be expected from them during the Transformation.
- 8 – Provide an open and transparent mechanisms to collect feedback from everyone. Should it be by department’s meeting or internet based platform.
- 9 – Explain how the communication will be done during the initiative. How employees will receive it: frequency, media etc…
- 10 – Provide immediate next steps and role of everyone.
At last, demonstrate during your communication that you let room to adapt any process that is not efficient.